Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Christmas in October

The 2010-2011 school year started out with a bang. And by 'bang' I mean being told I wasn't technically qualified/credentialed for my current job and, long story short, I'll be going back to school in Spring 2011 to get my Administrative Credential and M.A. Essentially, this new life plan means that I won't be in the classroom as long as I originally envisioned 4 years ago. This is a bittersweet thought, but lately I've been trying to take teaching (and all things life) one day at a time and enjoy people and moments as they come.

Speaking of enjoying people and moments as they come,here's a really sweet anecdote from today:

The setting was Homework Club in my room, per every Monday-Wednesday from 3:00-4:15. About an hour deep into studying for finals and working on his homework, one
of my students, who is also a foster youth, says to no one in particular, "It feels like Christmas!" I sarcastically replied from across the room, "the 85 degree weather reminds you of Christmas how exactly?" He looked pensive for a moment and then corrected me with, "no, I just think this is how Christmas feels. I feel like I'm at home." He smiled, satisfied with his explanation of declaring Christmas in October, and got back to work while I got to thinking:

This is the type of moment I treasure now, but already miss.Will I be able to create 'Christmas' for students in some capacity when I eventually walk away from the classroom teacher role?

1 comment:

  1. I always love your honest and descriptive posts, Ash. Wow, what a great gift that boy gave you today. Your student's comment is defining of the type of teacher you already are, no amount of schooling can teach that!
    -Liz

    ReplyDelete