Monday, March 5, 2012

Inspiration/Procrastination


In attempts to fully recover from a flu that's had me laid out for 72 hours and counting, I took the day off work. But, stress ball that I am, I'm sitting at a Peet's coffee shop hammering out as much of the NINE IEPs I have scheduled for this month as I can so that I don't get behind. Well, at least that is what I'm supposed to be doing. Clearly, I've taken a detour. I blame Pinterest. In case you have been living under a rock (or just use your time more wisely than I do) Pinterest is a time-sucking, reminder of all the things I could ever possibly want but not afford, yet absolutely impossible to tear myself away from site. Occasionally though, I do draw inspiration and not just feed my covetous, consumer tendencies. I saw/"re-pinned" this today:


Hard to argue with Einstein who was, by all accounts, a genius....and also alleged to have some type of learning disability, dyslexia or something... As soon as I saw this quotation, I thought of the amazing, unique, brilliant little fish I get to teach everyday and the obligation I have to help them discover their individual genius, and to dispel the lies that they or others place upon them that they are "stupid","incapable", etc...Special Education is too often a label that automatically limits the expectations that teachers have for students and that students have for themselves. My aim is to change that and help these kiddos find out what they were created to do and do well. Multiple Intelligences survey next week? Hmmmmm....

1 comment:

  1. Ashley, you are wonderful for your students! Perspective and expectations are such an integral part of teaching.

    ReplyDelete