Thursday, September 10, 2009

Have a Nice Weekend

I have, what I consider, the best job. My students are, for the most part, very literal. Sometimes I forget that. This leads to some of the most funny, endearing stories.

For instance,the first Friday of the school year when I told my students, in my most serious tone, that their homework assignment was to "have a nice weekend," and three of them came in on Monday ready to turn in essays with some variation of the title "My Nice Weekend."

Only two Fridays later I tried to pull the same trick over on them again. This time, the Friday homework assignment was to, "have a safe and relaxing weekend." Some giggled, remembering what I'd said the first week, but one student raised his hand and looked perturbed. When I called on him he asked in all sincerity, "what if I have a football game this weekend?" I thought fast and responded, "well, do you have pads you will be wearing?" He answered yes, so I told him that he would still be able to meet the requirements of the assignment. He looked relieved.

Picture day was last week. I walked my students over to the multipurpose room and had them go in to take their pictures and meet me outside afterward. When the first photo finisher came out I asked him casually, "alright,_______how was your smile?" I was expecting a verbal answer of yes, no, alright, etc... but he stopped in his tracks and literally demonstrated what his smile looked like in the photo he'd just taken. I thought this adorable act was a one time thing, but I decided I'd go ahead and ask each student the same question as they came out. All but one tried their hardest to replay their exact smile. It was the sweetest and silliest thing I've seen in a while. Maybe ever. Whenever I look at their pictures I can't help but smile at their sincerity and innocence. Take a look and hopefully they'll bring a smile to you too:





1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed this post! Their school pictures are precious. Some of my favorite Calvin and Hobbes comics are the ones when Calvin is getting prepped for his school pictures.

    ReplyDelete